Create a "people plan"
Decisions about our people are among the most important decisions we make.
For the non-profit sector, our human capital is one of our greatest assets. Talented, capable and well-prepared staff and volunteers enable us to reach our goals and support the communities we serve more effectively.
But the right mix of people doesn’t just happen organically. To ensure we have the skills and experience we need on staff, we need to link our strategic and organizational goals with the talent we need to accomplish those goals. That way, we can ensure we’re choosing the right people and developing their talents in the right way.
The right place to start this journey is with a “people plan.” A people plan is the foundation that allows you to understand your talent needs and actively reach out to find the people who can deliver those skills and abilities.
Even if you have only a few people, or part-time help or volunteers, you’ll still see benefit from developing a people plan to guide decision-making for your organization. A people plan can move you from where you are to where you want to be by helping you think strategically, gain clarity about the organization’s future, build the teamwork and expertise you need to get there, and embrace unexpected changes more flexibly and effectively.
This “Create a ‘people’ plan” toolkit includes a planning worksheet and step-by-step instructions to help you:
- Determine your existing capacity (the skills and potential of your current staff)
- Conduct a gap analysis to see where your organization may not have the human capital it needs
- Choose the best strategy for addressing and filling any gaps in your human capital
- Document and communicate your “people plan” to everyone in the organization
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of your “people plan” in helping you reach your goals